Baby Birth and Exit from India

The Exit Visa to leave India: Foreign Residents Registration Office

By Indian law, your baby requires an exit permit to leave the country. The exit permit is obtained from the Foreign Residents Registration Office (FRRO) in Mumbai or at the local Police Commissioner’s office if you are staying outside Mumbai.

The FRRO address in Mumbai is:

FRRO Office,
3rd Floor, Special Branch Bldg.,
Badruddin Tayabji Lane,
Behind St. Xavier’s College,

The embassy will provide a letter of introduction and request for assistance that you can take to the FRRO when you pick up your passport. Exit permit applications at the Mumbai office are accepted between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. For this appointment you will need:

  • Letter from consulate (they keep the original since it is addressed to them)
  • Surrogacy Agreement
  • Ticket (or print out of email confirmation) showing your departure date (that evening or next day is okay)
  • Passport for both parents and Visa for both parents (copy of both passport page and visa pages)
  • Copy of baby’s passport
  • Letter from Clinic
  • Letter from Hospital
  • Two 2×2 photos of the baby
  • US$80 worth of Rupees at prevailing exchange rates


Appointments are made on a first come first serve basis.  Get there early (maybe a half hour) to be first in line. When you enter you will sign a book on the first floor and take the elevator to the third floor. When you exit you will walk straight up to the desk, check in. You approach the attendant; they will look at your paperwork then send you into the door just to the left. You will then immediately go into the next set of doors on the left and to the back of the room where the computers are located. You then log on and fill out the form online for your exit visa. They will then hand you a chip with a number on it. When your number appears on the electronic board over the entrance door, you enter the set of doors on the left as you face the board. You will sit down with the official and they will review your documents and ask you to wait to be called again, or to come back tomorrow. At that time they will hand you a slip for payment. Once you pay you will walk back to the official and get your visa.

They will give you the exit permit with the baby’s photo that you must present to the airport officials. You now have permission to leave the country within the time they indicate. There is usually a three-day window but sometimes only a 1 day window.

The FRRO is places where you may want to have someone help you navigate through the language differences (Hindi) and the cultural differences.  Some people have reported paying facilitating payments, others have not.  When speaking to the folks at the U.S. consulate, they were aware that facilitating payments were required for birth certificates, but did not think facilitating payment were required for the exit visa.

The FRRO is a good example of the government bureaucracy you’ll see in any country and folks have had mixed experiences.